logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 05:31:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trim tabs  (Read 3845 times)
Bigrod (Savage Bluefin)

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »

I am looking for a set of rams for trim tabs that I have. From memeory the rams in their "original" state should be a red colour and about 10" long. The actual tabs are alluminium with a rib battern on them to match a rib pattern on the end of the rams to help with adjustment. The hydraulic actuator is a 2 handle unit cream in colur.
I am only looking for a pair of rams if anyone out there can help?

Thanks

Bigrod (Savage Bluefin)

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »

Hi there Bigrod,
(do you go beach fishing or is there something else you are saying?) Shocked

I see that you state "the hydrauic actuator is a 2 handle unit cream in colour". If it is a manual system, my guess it is a Hy Cee.
That's how I recall it was spelt.
We used those units in certain classes of circut & offshore racing back in the 70's

MERCMAN.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:05:04 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Bigrod (Savage Bluefin)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »

Thanks Mercman -googled etcand come up with silch. You are correctre offshore. I fitted a set to a C Class hains hunter cut down called Sinbin owned by a joker callled Rod Skinner in Hamilton NZ. Sinbin ran an Evinrude Super Strangler with a club foot. Lots of "wise Guys" told us it would not hol up but was a consistant place getter around 77,78 and 79. Good old days

Bigrod (Savage Bluefin)

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »

Now there's a good example of a Haines (No plank) with big power. That boat would have been good for 80- 85mph at least.
I wouldn't have believed it would have turned out a good combination either, but there you go..

As a reminder, the Aussie record holder for a stock 100ci mono is a 15' Dancraft called Union Tank 999, owned and driven by Barry Bourke. It had a STOCK 1976 150 inline Merc and it ran 88.9 MPH I recall.
The Evinrude Strangler & Super Strangler was a V4 100ci full factory race motor, reported to churn out around 190 - 200hp. They were primarily built to race on tunnels and compete with the Merc BP's, Twister II's & IIX's of the era.
Yep, you're right.. the good old days. 

Was the Haines a pig to get onto the plane with that motor on it? Maybe that's why the joker had you fit the tabs?

MERCMAN.

Bigrod (Savage Bluefin)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »

As you can imagine .... round and round like getting a tunnel boat out of the water but once it was out ... like the wind
Competed in the 1978 Citizen Off shore Power Boat serries from Auckland up through to the Bay of Islands over 5 days .... Now that was a drink!!!

Bigrod (Savage Bluefin)

The Wind in the Willows
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »

My goodness..Off shore with a Strangler. I've never seen that before.

MERCMAN.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: