logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 02:04:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who can make embossed stickers?  (Read 3256 times)
Drew

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »

Hi Folks,

I was recently cleaning out some of my grandmothers paperwork, and came across a set of spare stickers as fit to the Javelin Deluxe back in the 60's.  Looks like my grandfather must have talked a spare set of stickers out of Savage at the time.

I'm referring to the stickers on the rear of the upper hull as seen in this photo:

they have the rich blues and reds of the Savage company, but the silver has the company logo raised in embossing... I've spoken with a few sign writing types, and people who make marine stickers (Hales) and no-one seems to be able to reproduce these stickers (the ones I found are a bit motheaten from being stored for over 40 years)

I've contemplated getting them reproduced in very thin stainless - about 2 mm, but I think secure attachment to the hull will be an ongoing issue...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »

Hi Drew,
Welcome to The Board.
I'm sure some of our Javelin owners will be able assist on both posts.

Like your photo in the profile-thought it was my brother for a moment Grin

Regards Neil

Hard a' starboard
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:58:41 AM »

Drew,
Are the stickers really embossed (raised) or shiny silver foil?  Or both? I have never seen one.

To properly emboss (pushed out higher than the normal surface) one needs a male and female embossing die to press & stretch the material. These may have been 'hot-foil stamped' if metallic but not raised. They could certainly be duplicated (at a HUGE cost), or close looking duplicates made at a sign shop for a reasonable cost. When you can, please send me (or post) a photograph of the best spare label and I'll advise further. I have a lot of experience in this field and know people who still perform this sort of work now.

Stainless can be accurately lasercut (for a reasonable cost) and 3M have some incredible adhesives available. I would suggest 0.9mm for duplicate 'labels'.

Are the step-pads aluminium or something which has been chromed?
Are they a frame with rubber or vinyl inserts? Again, please post or send a photo.
Ally can be easily milled and can be chromed (copper first).
Many older fittings were actually nickel plated and this feels different to the touch - compared to chrome - if you rub it with your finger.

Post some pics and we will know better what is required.

Happy New Year,
Ken.
Drew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »

Hey Ken,

the stickers are definitely embossed, and a silver foil look finish.  Next time I'm at my folks place, I'll grab them out of the book case, and scan one...

the steps are a rubber (looks like bakelite from wear) step held down by two metallic strips...  I'll get some photos when I next get near the boat (at my parents B&B in their garage at the moment)...

Cheers,

Andrew
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

Andrew,
I had a look in the box of goodies that came with my Javelin and the remains of a step pad was there. I have taken a photo but need to reduce it in size (later tonight on the other computer) to post.
Looks like some kind of nylon-like plastic secured with ally strips.

I doubt they would be available now and I cannot remember seeing step-pads like this.
However, they would not be difficult to duplicate if you really wanted to.

A master could be milled out of plastic or aluminium (need a friend with a mill), a silicone mould made and new ones made again using silicone (choice of colours, too). I have created numerous items this way with great success, the final items were made from silicone and also from fibreglass. Release agent is vital, the silicone must be applied in thin layers and each allowed to cure fully before appling the next, spreading with a knife or artists' pallet knife. Both the mould and finished pad would be flexible when cured.

Labels: When you are able, post or email me a pic/scan and I'll make comment then. Try and notice a) how high the embossing is (probably only 0.5 mm or less and b) what is the substrate used - probably vinyl of some kind. My boat has chromed castings of the V and the Savage name.

Ken
slowpoke
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »

Drew,
Two pics: one of the SJ step-pad remains, the size is 205 x 62mm, the other is US made which I have on the G3.  I think I have seen these locally available at BIAS or similar ships chandlery.

The one pictured has three tread sections, is size 220 x 95 but there is a narrower version which has only two sections. I like the chrome trim but the black would get hot in the sun and I have thought of getting a 'groovy' white truck mudflap (if available) and trimming it to fit. That could be a thought for your SJ pads.

Ken

* SJ_step_pad.jpg (6.97 KB, 378x209 - viewed 301 times.)

* G3_step_pad.jpg (10.29 KB, 458x344 - viewed 313 times.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:31:55 PM by slowpoke » Logged
Drew

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »

Hi Ken,

Are you still about?  Apologies I never followed up on this...

Life (marriage, kids, forgetting my password) all got in the way....

My Savage side treads are still in quite good condition, so could be used as a base mould, but would need cleaning up on first cast to make them clear for future casts....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: