logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 11:46:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is the best way to reinforce a transom?  (Read 2941 times)
jodee_is

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »

Hi,

I have been trying to organise a boat builder to reinforce the transom on my carribbean but it is impossible to get them to commit to a start time, I have now been waiting for 3 months for 2 different boat builders and I am still waiting!!  I am over it.  Is it hard to reinforce, would I be able to do it myself with your advice?  Is it best to use timber or alloy?  The section that needs reinforcing is just a small probably 20cm square in the back, it has rotted the timber as water has come through where the bolts are for the motor.  The outer side is in great steardy condition. Can I just take out the rotted timber on the inside and place a bit of metal in its place, or is it best to fibreglass timber in place?  How do I do this? 

Thankyou
Jodee
Dinghyworld
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »

Hi Jodee,
The best way to repair the type of problem you have is to remove all the affected timber core and it needs to be replaced with timber and re glassed into place. The real problem is keying in the replacement material into the original transom. The original core would probably be laminated or one piece, and once there is rot, it reduces the overall strength of the transom. Generally cutting out a section of the glass from the inside of the boat is the prefered method, so you dont have visible signs of repair, however that is not always practicle, as it may require the removal of top section of the boat. The one that the apprentice is doing here seemed to be a little rot around the bolt holes, and once investigated, he found nothing other than mulch left there. he has elected to do the repair from the outside, and is making up a complete new wooden core, and will then re glass it into place If you had some pics of your affected areas, may give some clues as to the repair, and I am sure there are others here who can also provide some help.
Good luck with the repair, it isnt rocket science, and there ane many sites with help available
Cheers  John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: