logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 12:00:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1961 Johnson Seahorse 5.5 Help  (Read 3023 times)
61 Seahorse

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:08:10 AM »

Hello all!

I am the proud new owner of a CD-18 5.5 Seahorse and I am having a few problems.  Sad  I recently installed a new carb kit and fired it off.  It ran good for a few minutes and then it just quit, almost if it had locked up.  The shaft on the lower unit is frozen and the motor seems to be frozen also.  The motor is of course white, but the lower unit is blue, maybe off of an evinrude.  Will evinrude/johnson parts interchange?  I have no idea what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, a big hello from Mississippi, USA!

Dustin
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »

Hi Dustin,
Welcome to the Board. Please don't be offended if my questions seem a little stupid . Firsltly did you mix 2 stroke oil [25;1 ratio] with your fuel? & secondly did you run the motor with the gearcase in water ?, as a  lack of lubriction & overheating are possible causes of siezure.
Evinrude & johnson parts are mostly interchangable, usually only cosmetic parts like cowlings that are different.
Michael.
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »

G'Day  Dustin, I

have a nice 1960 one. CD-17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFvZ3LdbG8A

Yep, 24:1 mix only as no crank seals, roller big ends etc. Just Bronze bushes.

Blue bottom is Evinrude but no probs with that as long as the water pump impellor is changed over from the Johnson version. The Evinrude is a six (If Blue) and drive shaft is different OD.

Take Care

B

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: