logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 12:01:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reproduction Boat Logos  (Read 3268 times)
caribbean

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »

Hi Guys,
            I am trying to reproduce my "Caribbean" logo and have been running into a few problems.It is old style running writing in chrome. I have been to a few laser cut places where everything is done on a computer and they have identified the font as "brush script" which is close, but they can't seem to get the dimensions right.They will cut it out of 4mm stainless steel but can't do anything about the burn marks.The finished product on the computer is close but not close enough and for 350 dollars I am a bit reluctant to go ahead with it.
       Any help appreciated. Huh
Caribbean
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »

Hi Caribbean, I haven't had any experience with reproduction badges myself, but I have seen some excellent ones done by this company on vintage cars. I don't know what they charge but $350.00 sounds a bit steep to me. They might be worth a try. 

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/

Michael
coolaids

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »

Hi Caribbean,

$350 is steep for what you want I think... Your best bet is to take a full size outline of the logo to a plasma (laser) cutter whom has a 'magic eye'. This should reproduce exactly ... remembering the drawing lines will be the cut lines so compensation is needed. As far as burn marks they shouldn't matter if they're being chromed, otherwise whats known as 'pickleling' should clean them up considerably. The edges will have to be filed smooth....the thicker the material the rougher the edge..try a dremel or equivalent. If they only have to cut the logos I would estimate you should pay around $80-$100 an hour, the clock starts as soon as you walk in the door.

Often places don't want "small jobs" so they work out a ballpark price , double it and add 30%...either it scares off the customer or they make a handsome profit. So shop around.

If you seriously want to get away from burn marks try someone with a high definition water jet plasma. "Waterjet cutting systems are used for cutting sheet metal, stainless and tool steels, rubber, marble, granite, glass, bullet proof glass, tiles, brass, copper, fibreglass , carpets, plastics, timbers, leathers and most other materials up to 100 millimetres in thickness." again look for a company with a 'magic eye'. 'Magic eye' type profile cutters only need a simple outline drawing - full size in black fine felt tip on decent paper will do the job....better in AutoCad or similar.

You could try casting them...you'll need to form a mould.

Another option is to get out the coping saw....hours of fun...lol.

Hope this helps.
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

Hi Caribbean

I know what you are going through. These guys are based in Western Australia and they will  be able to come up with a usable product 1st time. Give them a call.

http://www.uniquemetalworks.net/flash/main2.swf   for a start point.

They do water jet plasma as coolaids mentioned.

Setting up costs are not cheap for a limited run but if you supply them with what info you got already, it has to help. Cheaper per item if you get as many sets as possible into a sheet stock then possibly resell the extras.........................

I went to see them about cutting water pump rubbers for my Anzani Pilots and Minors. They could do no probs I since found new ones on the net so never went back.

caribbean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »

Thanks Collector Inspector,Coolaids and Oldenrude,
                                                                             I am in Sydney and recall a place that did the water jet plasma thing.I will look them up.
Thanks for the Info
Caribbean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: