logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2021, 08:39:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960's Caribbean and Merc 1000 restoration  (Read 20760 times)
Davo

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »

Hi All.
We have been searching for a while for a site like this. We recently found an early caribbean and merc 1000 all original in a neighbours farm shed. She hadnt been used for about 10 years and the motor had frozen. After some gentle coaxing we got it free and then some more TLC, got it running. We have since taken it to the beach a few times and done some skiing, kneeboarding etc. She runs like a charm although a little thirsty. We have 3 young boys and they love belting around on the water in it. Mum is not so sure!
Anyways the cooler weather is here now so I am keen to restore this beauty to its former glory.
As you can see the paintwork has seen better days. I am looking for some advice as to whether we paint or try to polish the surface. I would like a brighter red and have had experience with spray painting so a new duco wouldnt phase me. I have been told that any respray job will peel in time and would like another opinion as to whether this is right. I am also keen for some ideas on what type of paint is the best for marine or what polishing products are the go. I also want to respray the motor. Any idea if it is possible to get replacement stickers or do we just mask up well. What paint would be best on it?  The chrome fittings are in need of replating and I would be happy to hear of any good electroplaters in SA.
The section put up by "caribbean" has motivated me as our boat is similar to this completed beauty.
Thanks in advance.
Davo

* DSCF2631_Small_WinCE.JPG (18.21 KB, 240x180 - viewed 973 times.)

* DSCF2633_Small_WinCE.JPG (17.56 KB, 240x180 - viewed 815 times.)

* DSCF2637_Small_WinCE.JPG (16.86 KB, 240x180 - viewed 752 times.)

* DSCF2646_Small_WinCE.JPG (17.12 KB, 240x180 - viewed 837 times.)
caribbean

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »

Hi Davo,
            "Caribbean" here.Your old Belmont looks in very good condition for a boat this age.I got someone to respray mine and all I know it was a 2 pack Dulux product called Luxathane I think.Can't remember what shade of Red it was but it was darker than the original.Will find out if you like.We replaced the floor and transom but have not sprayed the hull.New seats,windscreen,motor,carpet and all new chrome.
            Replacement stickers for the motor are available from America.Check with MERCMAN with questions regarding the motor.I can help with general restoration questions.
         Good to see I have motivated another lunatic who is as mad as me!
Cheers,
 Caribbean
Davo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »

Thanks for that Caribbean. So many questions, where do I start.......!

Yes I would like to know what red you have used as well as the type of paint. I assume you would have polished the hull to get it looking so good. What polish did you use. Also where do you get new chrome fittings of this era.
That white rubber strip around the hull is looking grotty on our machine. How did you get yours white again.
Just wondering how bad the floor needs to be to replace it. Ours has a dodgy piece about 1 foot square under the left front seat. Other than that it looks pretty good. Would you just cut that section out and replace it.
Regards
David
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »

Welcome to The Board, David. I'm quite sure you will enjoy it.
Sorry I haven't responded earlier, I've been away for the weekend.

Here is a website that can possibly help you with decals for your motor.  http://www.nymarine.ca/
If you post some more detailed shots of your motor or perhaps the Serial No off the instruction plate, which is mounted just above the thumb clamps, I can correctly identify the year model for you.
From what I can see from your pics provided thus far, I believe she is a 1963 model, and those decals appear to be currently available from the above site.

The genuine "Phantom Black" Mercury paint is available from most Mercury dealerships in a spray can version, primarily designed for touch ups, as it it still the current production colour. It has to be cheaper that buying and shipping spray cans from the NY Marine (USA) website.
If you need to spray the whole motor as you have indicated, I suggest buying a spray can of the genuine article, and have a spray shop mix and match a litre or so for you to apply yourself. I feel it is too large a job to try and do it properly, just using touch up cans.

Go to       http://www.nymarine.ca/Tips.html       for excellent painting tips.

Let us know if you need any more help.
We have a member Darracoll who should be able to offer some professional advice on refinishing the fibreglass, he did a beautiful job on his Volero Dart.

http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=396.0
There are two pages to look at....
http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?topic=396.15

MERCMAN.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:07:11 PM by MERCMAN » Logged

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Davo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »

Thanks Mercman. I have found some paint locally now that I know what I am looking for. It looks like there may be a delay on those decals. I will email him and see what the go is. Here are a couple of pis of the motor. The s/n starts with 154xxx so it must be a 1963 model. Seeing those restored motors has got me going! Nothing like a bit of character!!
Regards
David

* DSCF2639_Small.JPG (68.27 KB, 640x480 - viewed 693 times.)

* DSCF2640_Small.JPG (61.91 KB, 640x480 - viewed 665 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:48:20 PM »

Thank you for the pics David.
The Serial No leads me to believe she might just have been born in 1962. That particular model actually ran over 2 years, ie 1962/63.
The Serial Nos in that production run were from 1464949 to 1665001.

Keep us posted.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Davo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »

Hi Everyone, me again.
I have made a start on the restore of this old beast. She is currently stripped down ready for a paint. I have had the chrome redone but run into a few problems. The Carribean logo pictured is not behaving. The man tells me that he cant find out what type of metal it is and is unable to plate it. One has a crack in it and they cant repair it.
Does anyone know what it would be made of.

* IMGP0545_.JPG (14.86 KB, 240x161 - viewed 830 times.)

* IMGP0610_WinCE.JPG (13.25 KB, 240x161 - viewed 654 times.)

* IMGP0609_WinCE.JPG (16.05 KB, 240x161 - viewed 710 times.)

* IMGP0608_WinCE.JPG (15.71 KB, 240x161 - viewed 655 times.)
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »

Davo

Shiny parts are not necessarily "Chromed". (Cr)

If the casting is similar to Muntz Metal (Difficult but light weight mix of all sorts of things) it would be finished off with Nickel plating. Very common around that time as far superior to Cr. Is as shiny but is oily/slippery texture when compared to Cr when "Felt" with your fingers.

Ask your plater to try looking into setting his process for Ni. Listen to his professional opinion first as we do not want to destroy it remember!

If there is Bronze in the casting I Bet it sticks.

Bit more expensive but. He may not have a vat set up for Ni but it is only small bits and a plastic bucket sized correctly could be used.

I have found this on a vast number of my Old Dear Outboards dating back to early 1900s up to mid 70s.

Give that a go or "Chrome Finish Paint"

Let us know what happens?

Regards

C.I.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:25:42 PM by Collector Inspector » Logged

Davo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:31:03 PM »

Thanks CI for your quick reply.
I have forwarded your reply to the plater so we will see what happens.
Do you know if this material can be repaired , ie welded to fix the broken bit.
I have trawled the web looking for reproduction logos with no success so I think we have to use what we have.
I could just fill the holes and forget about it but the rarity of these emblems just adds to the uniquenes of this boat. (not quite sure how you spell that!!)

David
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »

Uniqueness

Repair?

If it has Bronze in it (Not nec Muntz which was general difficulty mess of stuff as example) use low heat general purpose Solder with any content Tn and Cu.

Do not use flux core!

Actually, if solder sticks then Ni plating it can be done. Soldered repairs will have a different Ni finish that should be fairly invisible unless you know what to look for in the plated item.

Your Plater knows what is what when given some direction to consider. Once again, listen to his advice and possible disaster scenarios.

I know about my Old Dears because I have the Bits in my hand when contemplating such things. Never had to hold “Your Bits”………….so to speak. HA!

Thanks for the compliment Mate!

Take Care

C.I.

Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »

Actually, just being a Badge, why not use the best one as a die and make a mold and use materials and methods available at hobby shops and Really Good Craft and Hobby Stores.

Paint up the result when lookn swish.

Then sell em.

I have done a bit of that.

C.I.

Rob K

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

Hi There,

Stay away from dulux paint. They do a few extreme outdoor paints but they will not readily advise you on using any of their paints for a marine application. Regardless of what the data sheets claim. The closest thing they have is 'Wheather max' and it's only application is for places around or near the water such as jetties and such.

There are several manufactures of marine paint. The 4 I know best are

1. International , They do 2 pack and single pack top coats and  primers and undercoats to match. This is what I am using at the moment. But it's not cheap. $199.95 for 2.25 litres of 2 pack topcoat. But you don't have to spray it. look up yachtpaint.com and go from there. They do a couple of red's too. 

2. Awlgrip is another that is good

3. aquacote is a water based 2 pack epoxy product

4. Newport is another.

Hope this helps.

Just remember it's boat,  not a house. There are too many people out there who do not deserve to own a boat.

My grandad had the motor the year before yours. The original 'Tower of Power'. It was the first 100 HP outboard and it was this motor that started Carl K painting them 'Phantom Black' to make it look shorter. It was this motor that started my fascinantion with Merc's

Davo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »

Thanks for the hints Rob.

It sound like the electroplater has plated those parts now so I am hoping that the boat will be done soon. The goal is B4 Christmas!
Will put some pics up when it is done.
David
Davo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »

Hi All & Happy New Year!

Well I got the motor all done today. It is amazing what a coat of paint does!
The hull is half painted so I hope to have completed my little project in about a month.
Those decals went on well an look a treat!

Regards
David

* IMGP0814_Custom_Large.jpg (67.96 KB, 514x768 - viewed 737 times.)
Davo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 04:39:01 PM »

Another

* IMGP0816_Custom_Large_Medium.jpg (72.98 KB, 800x535 - viewed 709 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: