logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2021, 08:14:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Caribbean Sandpiper Restoration - Company DECALS??  (Read 13426 times)
catfish

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »

Hi Resto buddies.  Smiley

I love all the classic original cars, boats and planes. I've restored Many many MANY 50's, 60's and 70's era British cars and am now turning my head to a lovely Caribbean Sandpiper. (possibly 1980-ish??)

I've already refurbished the sad and sorry Dunbier tilt trailer converting it from a dual skid format to wobble rollers with keel guides and side wobble roller arms. It is now so easy to launch and retrieve single handed and a modern 4 ratio hand winch with webbing replaced the old single ratio (fraying)steel cable unit. SO much easier and safer!

I'm currently looking for the "Caribbean" text and "4 trapezium" logo Decal originally applied on the rear flanks astern. Are they available anywhere or should I trace them and have them reproduced as a laser cut vinyl sign?

I'm in Melbourne.

She's a fibreglass 4.5m half cabin who has suffered years of abuse while giving excellent service ( probably the reason for the abuse - as she seems so tough and resilient she never demanded the attention.)

She's had the odd coat of paint brushed over some worn areas and not matched to the original colours either!!

I'm after some advice as to whether to attempt to bring it back to original colour scheme by sanding and painting over the gelcoat or repainting and devising my own color scheme. Currently the hull is nice with a 3 year old white gelcoat restoration. The cabin and deck area is beginning to craze so I want to save it as early as possible.

Is painting with marine paint onto the f/glass finish acceptable?

She is originally white hulled (fully) with a light blueish/green upper deck and cabin. Interior was the mottled beige/grey fibreglass spatter but has been painted in most areas with a BRIGHT pale blue (sky blue) finish like solar guard or similar.

I'd like to repaint the horizontal deck surfaces in a clean mid blue and the cabin and vertical side sections in white. The interior will be looked at afterwards to compliment although my preference is to boat carpet the interior vertical floor panels on the sides and use a removable single section for the entire floor panel.

I'll post some current pics once I figure out how and where to post in this forum.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:16:08 PM by catfish » Logged
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:48:10 AM »

Hello Catfish
We had a glitch on the board after I merged your pics.  The whole thing reset to prior to that date. Not your fault. Anyway I'm slowly restoring topics.
I've merged your pics to one topic again.
One way to post multiple pics without starting a new topic is to just reply to your own topic or go back to your post and hit "modify" then you can click on "Additional Options" then browse to another pic. Do this until the post reaches maximum size then create another reply post and repeat the above. Hope this helps.
Chairman
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:52:27 PM by Chairman » Logged
catfish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »

Thanks for the info. Now I know. Saddened and shocked to hear of the Board 'meltdown' .... I'm hopeful it wasn't anything to do with my contributions!!! ...even though you state it wasn't my fault (phew)

Still looking for help or advice regarding the resto and availability of replacement decals.

On another note I have a 5.5 HP Fisherman I want to restore. What remains of a painted over decal on one side of the fibreglass cover seems to read "Sports Fisherman"  ...I'm guessing it's an Evinrude.
It currently overpainted in 'Killrust' white enamel and appears to have originally been a mid - dark metallic Blue/Grey. It has a seperately mounted plastic "arrowhead" shaped logo on the sides of the f/glass cover but I can't locate a manufacturer name anywhere.

Where am I likely to locate the serial/model number on the engine? ...can't find it for looking though I've not yet de-mounted it from the housing and engine cover base.....

Any help or advice appreciated

Cheers
Rick
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:05:41 PM by catfish » Logged
Collector Inspector
Board God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »

Well, you must know it is 5 1/2 Horsepower obviously which makes it no later than 1964 as after that, they turned into 6 Horsepower. Blue paint under other means it is indeed an Evinrude.

Port side transom clamp usually had the ID plate attached easy to see. If not there you have little hope of ID-ing it as far as model goes.

On the engine block is a core plug "Cover", aluminium plate with maybe the engine number? It is about 1" in diameter. That may help.

Hey, best thing is to take detail pic of cowl and badges and post. That would be cool as a help as I can match with brochures of the time to pretty well nail it to a year/model.

Hope that helps

Regards

CI

catfish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:30:30 PM »

Thanks Collector Inspector.
All info greatfully received and appears consistent with what I've noted thus far. It's after midnight here in Melbourne (daylight saving time) at the moment but once the sun comes out again I'll get some pics and hopefully repost during the day.

Cheers

be safe on the water
catfish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »

Hi all ... and CI ..
Thanks for your advice and help so far. Looking for correct info on year/model etc.... basically anything to get me on my way with this motor.

Well I located the ID plate buried under layers of enamel and cleaned it down sufficiently to obtain a stamped Serial number.
Looks like (S?) (5)402B A-4622 underneath is indeed embossed Evinrude Motors Bankstown NSW   Division of Outboard Marine Australia.

I've included some pics as reference.
Motor was last run February this year. I believe on correct ratio 1:24 fuel.

Actually hoping to bring this up to glory again and would appreciate any advice on correct colours, colour scheme layout and correct placement of decals/stripes etc as well as obtaining replacement decals for sides of cowl

* IMG_0928.jpg (42.02 KB, 640x480 - viewed 617 times.)

* IMG_0930.jpg (32.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 549 times.)

* IMG_0932.jpg (50.21 KB, 640x480 - viewed 547 times.)

* IMG_0938.jpg (44.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 574 times.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 10:41:26 PM by catfish » Logged
catfish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »

..... and under the cowl and ID Plates......

* IMG_0940b.jpg (67.6 KB, 640x480 - viewed 549 times.)

* IMG_0947b.jpg (48.42 KB, 640x480 - viewed 584 times.)

* IMG_0950b.jpg (51.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 562 times.)
catfish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:10:55 PM »

After a successful trailer conversion from a stubborn 'skid' setup to a wobble roller setup with keel guides and side arms. . . so much easier!!

Pic of the old girl behind the other old girl........

* IMG_0866.jpg (68.96 KB, 640x480 - viewed 997 times.)
oldenrude
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 07:19:21 AM »

Hi catfish, she's a 64 model. go to old-omc where you will find nicely scanned brochures for nearly every model of Evinrude from the 50's to the 80's. http://www.old-omc.de/  . For paint colours & decals try http://www.nymarine.ca/ .

Michael
Bluebob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 12:11:14 AM »

Catfish

I recently purchased the same vessel.  Managed to track down the "Sandpiper" decal but it appears the original Caribbean logo is not available.  Have you managed to get a copy done and if so where from?   Can send you a scan of the Sandpiper decal if you want it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: