logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 01:07:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Aristocrat?" restoration  (Read 2636 times)
ttg

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »

Hi All,

It has been a while since I have been here at The Board, the last time, I had just purchased Hugh's little "Aristocrat?"
With the help and advice of a shipwright the progress report looks like this:
Finished fibreglassing the hull with peel ply.
Spot filled with epoxy filler.
Three coats of epoxy hi-build primer (applied with brush).
Hand sanding,
Hand sanding,
And yes, more hand sanding.
Spot filled any remaining small holes with epoxy filler.
Four coats of epoxy hi-build primer (sprayed on this time).
Spot filled any imperfections.
Hand sanding again.
Three coats of linear polyurethane.

And with all modesty aside, I have to say the hull now looks great!
Will post pics soon.

Have now started on the deck.
Old varnish has been stripped using your recommendation of the magical pull scraper and heat gun combo.
Used oxalic acid to remove weathering stains and fungal growth.
Over several days this has removed about 70% of the stains.
Decided to stop when I noticed the top of the ply was starting to deteriorate, only very minor though.
Not sure if I should continue with the oxalic acid to try and remove the last portion of the stains.
Any thoughts about this?
Otherwise I was thinking I could use a wood stain to mask the remaining discolouration.
If so, do I use a water based or oil based wood stain, have received differing thoughts on this.
Any recommendations re wood stain type and/or brand before applying final top coat.
On this matter I was thinking of using International's Schooner Tropical Varnish.
Any suggestions here?
The fun continues?!

Thanks again,
ttg

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »

Hello
A bit hard to advise re the lifting ply, but my first thoughts are to epoxy it hard prior to varnish. It can then be sanded. The stain may inhibit the epoxy, I dont really know as I havent had experience here. Try to get some more advise. If you want a perfect look, it may be hard otherwise go for a renovated look. It's your choice. Bote cote is a good epoxy and then it has to be finshed with a UV inhibited  one pack varnish. good luck and let us know your thoughts
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: