logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 29, 2022, 08:28:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swift Craft Question  (Read 300 times)
oldpom

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2021, 07:12:10 AM »

hi all and thank you for the ad. Very new to boating but have been given this boat so thought I need to to get some info before I go further.  It says Swift Craft and has Numbers on the side and a reg plate .  It also has another plate that says 1990 so I take that as that as the build date?  It has a 10 hp outboard and looks fairly clean and tidy but, how do i go ahead now?  What model do you think it is as they ask this on the rego application.   It has no battery so do I need one? Any advice welcomed.. thanks https://link.shutterfly.com/33LMdOxyFlb
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 06:32:23 PM »

Hello Oldpom and welcome to The Board from all of us.

That little boat is very much under powered. In saying that, it's a great place to learn to boat! I'd say the boat was built in 1966 or "67. It would have been powered with around 75hp outboard.
The link to you pictures is only showing me one photo. I assume there are more? If I can see more pictures, I will be able to tell you more about your boat.. including the model. 

As for your questions:
I'm not sure what the 1990 plate is all about.. perhaps something to do with Boatcode information (Hull identification)? I do not know which State you are in, but the last time I looked at our regulations (NSW) the vessel had to be capable of 10 knots before it had to have current registration. I very much doubt your boat would be capable of that speed with a 10hp.
Also, Suzuki would not have made a 10hp outboard with electric start in the mid 70's, which is when your motor was born. Therefore, you don't need a Battery unless you are planning on taking your camping Fridge/Freezer with you.

I respectfully suggest you take the rig to a marine dealer to check the over the entire rig and conduct a quick service on the motor to ensure your first day on the water goes to plan. 
Remember to take out insurance. We can talk to you about that subject as well.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
oldpom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 10:08:19 PM »

Hi Mercman, many thanks for the detailed reply. I have added more pics to that link which I hope you will now be able to see, many thanks
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »

G'day David,
Thanks for the extra pics. This has confused me even more. In two of the pic's you will see your Long Shaft (20") Outboard is clearly mounted to an added piece of "homemade" grey timber in the centre of the Short Shaft Transom (15").

In another pic you will see that the mounting bracket (normally for an auxiliary motor) has been removed from the Port side and then re-bolted in the Centre of the Transom... then, the Outboard has been re-mounted on what was the auxiliary motor bracket!
I also note there has been yet another different "homemade" auxiliary motor bracket added to the Port side.

This is the best bit, I respectfully take my hat off too the person who has managed to adapt an 1960's OMC Control Box to the throttle and gear shift of a Suzuki Outboard which never had an option for remote throttle and gear control, let alone cable steering!! Note the cut in the Starboard side of the cowl, to allow the throttle cable pass through   Shocked 

Your boat will be a wonderful "lake" boat. I'm sure you will get plenty of enjoyment from her. One piece of advice I should offer.. before you tow her too far, remove the trailer wheels and hubs then repack or replace the inner and outer wheel bearings.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
antman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 06:49:28 PM »

ahhh thats so cute. and looks in good nic
  id be proud to have that old school well done
a mercury blue band would suit  in my opinion
mercman whats next weeks powerball numbers as you always seem to be  right
enjoy

it is what it is
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: