logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 10:28:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Banshee info wanted  (Read 232 times)
austral

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »

Hi guys, looking for transom height info for my Ď59 banshee.  Previous owner put in a new transom to suit an Etec which is way too high for my Ď62 Mercury 700.   
Iím guessing the first cavitation fin just above the prop would have to be level with the bottom of the boat which gives me 16Ē of transom,but that doesnít leave enough room in the engine well to turn the clamp knobs.
Just looking for some advice please.    Cheers, Darryl.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »

That's real odd. The only explanation I can come up with is your Banshee was built for a 20" motor. These motors were available from Mercury in 1959 and on.

What you need to do is remove your Thumb screws and replace them with engineered replacements, out of s/s threaded rod, having provision for the cup washer to fit on one end and a "milled hex end" at the other end. Note: The milled hex end must be small enough to pass through the cast transom bracket. I suggest the hex end to be milled to suit a SAE ring spanner. This will make it easy to turn is a small space cluttered by the front of your motor, steering gear and the sides of the well.

Here is a pic of what Mercury made in the 70's, for their 4 cyl 850. These were standard! 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1440-6044A2-Transom-Clamp-Bracket-for-Mercury-850-4-Cyl-85-Hp-Outboard-1976-83/133022160928?epid=1534476072&hash=item1ef8bd1820:g:XvMAAOSwnJpcstO5

Note: One of these genuine Merc parts in the picture, won't fit your 700 (wrong diameter). This picture is just to give you an idea of what I'm proposing to assist you with your dilemma.

If that's too hard, there was a spacer available to turn your Merc into a 20" motor. It's called a pace maker (after market) and it fits between the gearcase and the mid section. You may be lucky enough to find one, but they would be like hens teeth now.

The last option as I see it, is to have your well modified to suit.

MERCMAN

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
austral

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:38:25 AM »

Thanks Mercman,  much appreciated. Iíve cut the transom down to where I can just swing the clamps. Itís at about 17Ē so Iíll see how the engine goes at that and if it cavitates too much Iíll do what you said along with cutting the transom down more. The previous owner has made the transom out of 60 mm ply so it sure is strong and Iíve sealed the cut with two layers of glass. I tried to put photos up but only get them to the spot under here, but canít shift them up to the text.  Darryl
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 06:50:00 AM »

There is no doubt you are going to get cavitation. However, it depends if you intend on skiing etc.. it will bother you. Is your propeller cupped?
Because I use to race boats, I love the sound and feeling of cavitation and I know how to deal with it. 

I'll send you a PM so you can call me. (I have a new number and email address.)

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
austral

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:46:44 AM »

Cheers, Iíll call you this arvo or evening,  Darryl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: