logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 05:01:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Caribbean info needed  (Read 1500 times)
Russo

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »

I am trying to find out what year my boat it could be, it seems to be a belmont. It's 14.5 ft. Looking at various photos on this site there is a difference between those with a raised piece at the front of the motor well and those without it like mine but so far I haven't been able to find when the change occurred. The little sticker in the motor well isn't showing a model or serial no unfortunately. Also were there  badges or decals on these apart from the chrome Caribbean badge on the dash? The hull is in fairly good order apart from the floor which I am in the process of replacing. I will have to rebuild the seats as it sat outside for about 10 years before I found it. I emailed the factory in Melbourne but they didn't bother replying.

* Our Caribbean as found.jpg (903.49 KB, 2634x1465 - viewed 183 times.)

* Sticker.jpg (462.17 KB, 2211x1329 - viewed 169 times.)

* Caribbean badge.jpg (261.79 KB, 2420x1432 - viewed 154 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »

Welcome to our forum,
I'm not too helpful with your hull. However, we have a few members who should be able to assist you.

By the way, your 50hp Merc is a 1973 model, much younger than the hull.

Please feel free to post progress photo's.. we all love pics.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Russo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »

Thanks Mercman,
Unfortunately the Merc has a damaged gearbox and the previous owner did even more damage trying to get apart. So it's been relegated to the shed of broken dreams. I think I have a deal to buy a 1960 white merc 40hp which will look good on it although somewhat less power but that doesn't worry me. If that deal doesn't happen I have a 40hp Gale restored that I could put on. I prefer to stick with a Merc though to match the original steering.
Also I'm in NZ and haven't been able to find who sold them here or anything about any other similar caribbeans here.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »

Either motor will go OK on that hull, as you suspect.
However, there are quite a number of merc/mariner gearboxes which will fit straight on to your 500. Is your 500 a long or short shaft? I feel it will be short shaft.

Is it the gear housing that's US or the internals, owing to water damage?

MERCMAN.

Russo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »

Yes it's short shaft. The gearbox is locked up and the housing is damaged from a rather brutal attempt to dismantle it so another gearbox would be the best way forward. I'm not having any luck with info about the hull. I've posted on various places Facebook etc but haven't found any body who knows what I'm asking. When I search about Dorsett boats which is the mold used by Caribbean in Aus, there's nothing the same. So it seems that Caribbean must have altered the mold to produce hulls similar to mine. I really want to know what year it is which must be between 1959 and 1964 and what they called this model. Hopefully I'll find someone who knows.
darrcoll
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 01:07:22 PM »

Hi Mate, just wondering if the boat in the background of the pic is a 25' Haines . pic is for reference.

* 100_0437.jpg (954.12 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 161 times.)

Darrcoll    Don't tell me about BOATS
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »

Hi Darrcoll,
How are you old mate? I'm pretty sure it has been has been ages since you have been on this website!

The boat (Formula 233) in the background looks the boat which is (or was) owned by the famous (A380) Qantas Captain: Richard de Crespigny.

I seem to recall the Haines brothers flopped an original (USA) Don Aronow built Formula 233 under licence, many many years ago. In more recent times, (since the demise of the original Haines boat builders including the 233 moulds) Don Aronow built the first Formula 233 in the early to mid 1960's. I believe Eden Craft flopped a Haines 233?

A version of the original Aronow built 233 is still available from Edencraft.  See: https://www.edencraft.com.au/

If the the boat in the background of your pic is, or was Peter's... the real "Neil Armstrong" was a guest of Peter's on Sydney Harbour on that very boat!

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »

Hello Darrcoll,
I require your advice. I sent you a PM last week. Does your email address remain unchanged?

d_xxxxxxx@hotmail.com

Cheers,
MERCMAN

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: