logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2020, 12:38:34 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sweden to Ban 2 stroke outboards  (Read 421 times)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:10:59 AM »

The Swedish government asks two-stroke owners to update their outboard engines or face having them declared illegal
Sweden has announced it plans to ban all two-stroke outboard engines in the country, a move that could affect up to a third of all the outboard-engined boats in the country.
The Swedish Transport Agency’s “A Cleaner Wake” plan was announced in the middle of last week’s Gothenburg-based boat show, with owners urged to replace two-stroke outboard engines voluntarily before an outright ban was considered.

Related stories:

Drought gives older two-stroke outboard engine tech a stay of execution
All the 150hp outboard engines compared
Evinrude launches new three-cylinder E-TEC G2 outboard engines
“It's not about wanting to ban things, but we want boat owners to think more about the fact that they also have a certain environmental impact,” STA representative Lina Petersson told Swedish media website SVT.

According to the agency, Sweden has around 750,000 recreational watercraft plying its coastlines and waterways. Of those, one in three outboard engines are more than 25 years old, showing how well the technology stands up to wear and tear over time.

The agency claims that up to 30 per cent of the fuel that these engines use remains unburned and ends up in the water.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »

Hi Dave,

This is yet another brainless knee jerk reaction, borne by ill informed "greenies".

Bombardier will tell you, their product (Evinrude outboard) a 2 stroke outboard, is more environmentally friendly than any gutless 4 stroke outboard, of similar hp (not torque).

It is wrong to generalise by comparing simply two stroke or four stroke, when talking about "emissions". Simply stick to the subject.. emissions.

I wonder if they are going to try and declare all two stroke aircraft, two stroke jet skis, two stroke motorbikes and all two stroke chainsaws illegal as well? 

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »

Greta Thunberg and her family is Swedish . A country of modernity ! Too modern .
Good source and comments David and Guy .
Next time I go to Stockholm I'll go in SX2 and row into the Harbour to meet Greta as she will  not fly to meet me here .

Chairs

Neil

Hard a' starboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: