logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 07:09:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Caribbean mystery project  (Read 3140 times)
OwenF

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:00:12 PM »

Hello all,

Thanks for adding me into the forum. Iíve bought my first boat and itís a bit of a project. I think itís a Caribbean Crosby or Galaxy maybe but Iím not sure. The id plate says itís a model 178 but I donít seem to be able to find any info on this model and I was hoping someone could maybe help with confirming what the boat is? Looks like someone started to pull up the floor and stringers so I cleaned out a little but there is still a lot of work to do. Iíll add some photos.

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:41:59 AM »

Welcome Owen
Iíve owned a Crosby so might be able to ID if I see pics
OwenF

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 02:34:51 PM »

Thanks Chair, I had some problems uploading photos last night but hopefully this will work.

The steering wheel and badge seem to be different to pictures of the other models I have seen and I cannot find any reference to the build plate model number (178) anywhere else on the web. It does measure around 16ft and plate says it can take 6 pax and an outboard up to 120hp. Hope this helps.

* IMG_1136.jpg (353.4 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 71 times.)

* IMG_1135.jpg (165.78 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 71 times.)

* IMG_1147.jpg (302.19 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 29 times.)

* IMG_1161.jpg (243.37 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 72 times.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:37:35 PM by OwenF » Logged
OwenF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 08:08:14 PM »

Gunwhale rubber removed & power washing has started.

* IMG_1174.jpg (285.58 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 31 times.)

* IMG_1177.jpg (222.48 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 32 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »

Hello Owen,
Yesterday, I started to draft a reply to your thread then became distracted with work issues, sorry.

Your boat is not a Crosby. It certainly looks similar to a Caribbean Galaxy. However, I'm leaning toward a Caribbean Donzi, given that huge well.
Somewhere, I have a pic (4 years ago) of a Donzi (I recall) with twin 1968 65hp Mercs bolted to the transom.
So far, research on this website tells me a Caribbean model V167 is a Galaxy. There is a member of this Forum who can probably tell us what model number 178 is. I'll make contact with Mark for you.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
OwenF

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 09:44:16 AM »

Many thanks Mercman. I havenít heard of a Caribbean Donzi before but am looking forward to finding out a bit more.
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »

It looks like a Galaxy. The model 178 has no relevance to my book. The Galaxy measures 15 ft 3 inches right through the center line of the boat. Do we have any evidence of age? Looks late 60s early 70s.  The Galaxy was made from 1966 to 1968. Then it was re-badged as a Cobra until production finished in 1971.

Mark S.
OwenF

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »

Thanks Mark, no indication of year but it is more than the measurements you gave hitting 16í easily. Iíll measure again to be accurate.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 07:31:04 AM »

In the "old days" it wasn't unusual for manufacturers of lots of products to have rubber rule's (rulers) even fisherman!

My money is still on a Caribbean Donzi. Although, your boat doesn't have the typical Caribbean Donzi gelcoat design on the sides, which is leaving me with some doubt.

The BRAND name Donzi, is a hugely recognised boat brand in other parts of the world. Don Aronow was a famous boat builder, designer and racer.. boat brands including Cigarette, Formula and Magnum, just to name a few. Because of Don's connections with Bertram, Carl Kiekhaefer and International Marine (Australia) Caribbean in Australia named Caribbean model after Don (Donzie)

MERCMAN,

perthite

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »

What a great find, and a great looking model.
You've cleaned it up well, would you mind telling us how you cleaned it?
I have to agree that the length is odd, it doesn't seem as long as the 178 model suggests, it looks more like it would be 168. Its smaller than say  a Safari that's 173.
I haven't been able to see much sense in the numbers though. It would make sense if 178 was 17ft 8in overall say, but my very rough guess is about a foot less from the look of it.
They don't correspond to either gunwale or centreline lengths
I have seen that some early models like were derived from Glastron, and their info is very well documented, numbers arent either length, just slightly above centreline lengths, so maybe Caribbean followed that.
The number seems a guide only, but just a model number and not a true length
As for Donzi, I have not seen a Donzi hull profile shape like yours, maybe it was the deep v that Caribbean copied, hence the reference to Donzi. Afterall, its the deep v that is really the key to Donzi hulls
I'm in Perth and we get very choppy seas here, so deep v hulls highly regarded.
And unlike Glastrons it seems impossible to search Caribbean Donzi and fiind out much. I too would be very keen to hear more.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

Hey Perthite,
You have touched a nerve. Now, I distinctly remember the Caribbean Donzie having an outrageously deep V. They were very unstable at rest but great in a sea, for that very reason.

MERCMAN.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:25:20 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

perthite

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 06:45:39 PM »

Sorry to hit a nerve Mercman, I didn't mean to.
I have an interest in getting an old classic, but limited knowledge unlike yourself.
I am both taking an interest and trying to improve my knowledge on this site. And not wanting to be totally selfish, offering some comments where I think I might be able to contribute, like Caribbean model numbers that I have been collecting

I agree that Donzi have very deep vees, but so did Bertram and werent Caribbean mixed up with them, well they were later at least
And Bertram had a deep vee before Donzi didn't they, both 24d which seems to be the maximum
I did mean that the Caribbean Donzi didn't look anything like a Donzi, especially in profile, and I meant side profile here, or layout etc. Yes other than the deep vee, which I assumed was an associated Bertram item.
Anyway, I did say how much I like the boat, still do, and I think it must be the earliest Caribbean deep vee. I haven't ever found info on any early Caribbean deep vee. A Bertram V15 is on my wish list, as is the Caribbean Donzi, but they rare being this far from where they were made.
In Western Australia they copied the Bertrams rather than sold many here way back when
Anyway, sorry if I caused any offence.

perthite

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 11:05:29 AM »

While following up on something else I come upon this
Not the side profile droopy nose of a Donzi that I thought I might find, but definitely called Donzi and built by Caribbean
Mercman should like the motors
Looks like a pretty exciting boat, driven by Jim Rice
I couldn't find any more on Google, but I hope this may help others in the search
Or jog a memory, it probably just over 50 years ago after all.
I did find a shot of Jim Rice with a Cougar race boat, but nothing more with the Donzi
I for one would like to find out more if anyone can help

* caribbean donzi jim rice.JPG (50.86 KB, 949x346 - viewed 16 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »

Yep, I like the motors... Twin 110hp 1966.
Left hand gear box not offered in that year model!

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »

Sorry to hit a nerve Mercman, I didn't mean to.
I have an interest in getting an old classic, but limited knowledge unlike yourself.
I am both taking an interest and trying to improve my knowledge on this site. And not wanting to be totally selfish, offering some comments where I think I might be able to contribute, like Caribbean model numbers that I have been collecting

I agree that Donzi have very deep vees, but so did Bertram and werent Caribbean mixed up with them, well they were later at least
And Bertram had a deep vee before Donzi didn't they, both 24d which seems to be the maximum
I did mean that the Caribbean Donzi didn't look anything like a Donzi, especially in profile, and I meant side profile here, or layout etc. Yes other than the deep vee, which I assumed was an associated Bertram item.
Anyway, I did say how much I like the boat, still do, and I think it must be the earliest Caribbean deep vee. I haven't ever found info on any early Caribbean deep vee. A Bertram V15 is on my wish list, as is the Caribbean Donzi, but they rare being this far from where they were made.
In Western Australia they copied the Bertrams rather than sold many here way back when
Anyway, sorry if I caused any offence.

Hey mate, you read me wrong.. absolutely no offence taken at all, from my end.
When I wrote, "you touched a nerve" I simply meant you wrote something that "hit me like a tonne of bricks" OR "rang a huge bell"

Do you get my drift... all good my friend!  Smiley

MERCMAN.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:13:31 AM by MERCMAN » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: