logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 07:21:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Javelin needing restoration  (Read 1894 times)
DumHed
Board God

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

Hello!
It's been a while since I've been on this forum, and it's good to see it's still going!

My Javelin hasn't had much use in recent years because I've been too busy - but I dragged it out on boxing day to get it up and running and found that the engine's steering pivot had siezed up, and the transom has gone soft.
I guess it's done ok to last 50+ years!

I'd love to keep it but I don't have the time or the gear to do the fibreglass repairs on it, so I figure it's best to move it on to someone who can restore it and I'll get a more boring aluminium tinnie to suit my current usage.

I've had it since 2007 and it's number 25 on the Just Javelin count thread.

It can come with a very rusty matching trailer, and also a 70Hp 3cyl Merc which runs fine but doesn't steer.
Open to any offers.

Located Central Coast NSW.

note: the red is pretty faded - it just happened to rain right when I wanted to take photos so it looks better than usual!

* 200107-Javelin1.jpg (469.72 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 36 times.)

* 200107-Javelin2.jpg (433.86 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 36 times.)

Don't push me, push a push pop
DumHed
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:22 PM »

looks like this might be sold already!

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »

The Merc's steering can be usually freed up without too much drama.
There are a number of fiberglassing places who will gladly rectify your transom, with out costing a kings ransom!

Good luck with the sale.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
DumHed
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:15 PM »

I had freed up the steering years back, and while pumping grease into it cracked the housing, so it's not really fixable.
I can get the parts for it and swap the whole bracket assembly but I don't like the chances of it coming apart successfully!
The outboard wrecker said I'd most likely have to cut two engines up and make one good one - but I haven't tried dismantling it yet.

I had a bit of a look around for transom repair people and didn't find anything suggesting it would be an affordable price.
I would do it myself but already have too many projects and very little time. I figure it's best if it goes to someone who will restore it and actually use it!

While it's been an excellent boat it's not always the most practical option, with the shape making it easy to damage when trying to tie up at jettys, other boats, etc
If I had more time / money / space I'd definitely keep it, but I've had a pretty good run with it already Smiley

Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 01:43:07 PM »

Definately a good boat to restore with all the original fittings. .
DumHed
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »

yeah I think it would come up very well.

Unfortunately part of the Savage badge on the corner fell off a few years ago and was never seen again.

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »

I had freed up the steering years back, and while pumping grease into it cracked the housing, so it's not really fixable.
I can get the parts for it and swap the whole bracket assembly but I don't like the chances of it coming apart successfully!
The outboard wrecker said I'd most likely have to cut two engines up and make one good one - but I haven't tried dismantling it yet.

I had a bit of a look around for transom repair people and didn't find anything suggesting it would be an affordable price.
I would do it myself but already have too many projects and very little time. I figure it's best if it goes to someone who will restore it and actually use it!

While it's been an excellent boat it's not always the most practical option, with the shape making it easy to damage when trying to tie up at jettys, other boats, etc
If I had more time / money / space I'd definitely keep it, but I've had a pretty good run with it already Smiley

Pumping grease into the housing is the very last thing you do, when you are wanting to freeing up a steering tube in any outboard. Never introduce ANY grease until you have the motor swivelling freely first. There are a few important steps which should be taken prior!

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
DumHed
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »

oh yeah at that time I had already freed it up.

It was an old engine I got for free and it had low compression on cylinder 3 so I never expected it to last anywhere near as long as it did!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: