logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 08:49:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Savage Javelin  (Read 172 times)
True blue

Hold Fast

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »

Hi all.

My name is Julian and i'm new to The Board. I recently bought an early Savage Javelin, which I believe is structural sound. It could do with some new paint and a bit of a spruce up. I will post a picture. Any suggestions would be welcomed, and anyone with any parts from the original vessels like deck fittings would be great to source, as a previous owner removed some of the deck fittings when they repainted the boat.

I became interested in vintage and older boats recently, and after being bitten by "the bug" I started looking to see what was out there online locally. I saw the Javelin for sale in Sydney where I live, and I liked the unique lines. Despite already owning a boat, I decided to buy the Javelin as I was interested in something that was vintage or at least had a classic look. My intention in buying the boat was to try to preserve something that could easily be lost for ever, and finding out that it's an Australian classic was a bonus.

I also own a second boat, which has a picture of an Academy Award (i.e. the same as the movie awards in Hollywood) on the side. I think the boat is from the 1970's. It has a Johnson motor on it that I was told was from 1968. I don't have a picture of this boat, but I can take one and post it. Hopefully someone will recognise the boat from a photo, and will be able to tell me something about it.   

Julian

* Cat not for sale.jpg (226.09 KB, 960x960 - viewed 15 times.)
True blue

Hold Fast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »

Side view

* Red Jav.jpg (209.49 KB, 960x720 - viewed 14 times.)
True blue

Hold Fast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 10:02:44 PM »

Inside

* Inside look.jpg (180.97 KB, 960x720 - viewed 14 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »

Hi Julian
Welcome. Your boat looks fine externally but the interior and deck is a shame.
Nothing is original, wheel, screen, seating and as you say deck fittings.
Itís really hard to find these parts, if the hull is sound it would be best to source another bombed out javelin with original bits. Look on gumtree. These bombs are normally not listed as Javelin or Savage.
David
True blue

Hold Fast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »

Hi David,

thank you for welcoming me to the Board, and thank you also for the good advice. I bought the boat not realising that there were a lot of non genuine parts and parts missing. So looking for a bombed out Javelin on gumtree is a really good idea. It's also good to know that they are out there, as I wasn't sure. I just wanted to ask whether you know what year model my boat would likely be, and whether there is a photo on the Board of a boat that is the same "type" as mine. I'm interested to see what the original steering wheel, instruments, screen looked like. Also, do the different types of screens fit only certain models, or are they interchangeable? For example, if a Javelin has a short screen as mine does, will only the short screens fit that boat?   

Thank you.

Julian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: