logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 12:01:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: savage boat show boat  (Read 221 times)
perthite

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »

Hi
Anyone know what this Savage boat show boat is?
I am keen to buy an old classic, and have narrowed my search down to a Pursuit.. just have to find one in WA
But I thought I should check this out
Anyone able to help
And what sort of a hull, flat bottom or later v style
thanks

* savage boat show 3.jpg (38.12 KB, 320x223 - viewed 18 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »

Good Afternoon Perthite and welcome to The Board.

We will be able to tell you the hull weight of the Pursuit, However, you may have to wait a short while, whilst our guru MarkS, looks this up for you.
In the  interim, at the top of each page of this forum, you will see a "search" button.
Here is link to an example of what you can find here..   http://www.board.net.au/yabbse/index.php?action=search2

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
perthite

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »

Thanks for the welcome
I have been side tracked the last week with work.
Mark S has replied unfortunately didn't have the weights, I have noticed that he has a heap of info, as do you
It seems that there is a bit of info in the 70's but very little from 60's
The illegible Savage 64 brochure on this forum is the only one I have seen
I think the Pursuit looks like 580lbs, or 263kg, if that's what it really does read.
thanks again
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »

Hi,
The Pursuit was marketed a semi deep vee hull, I recall. Mostly, they were built for a 20" motor. However, they did offer a 15" transom if required, but not too many were sold.

The 15" transom wasn't the best version of the boat because of the vee. If the boat was fitted with an inline 6 cylinder Merc, the bottom spark plug became wet when the boat was at rest and there were two people at the stern, or if you dropped off the plane rather rapidly.

The Pursuit will go pretty well with a minimum of 65hp right up to 100hp, provided the transom is not rotted.

Do you intend on powering it with a period motor or a more modern power plant? Your options are quite broad.

MERCMAN.

perthite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »

Hi
The 5cylinder Mercury doesn't sound so good. A six would be fun thats for sure
I am looking for lightweight and good fuel economy, so probably 70hp max 2 stroke.
I would like a really good matching motor ideally, and maybe an auxillary as back up, so much for the weight saving
I would like simplicity, some DIY so old seems the way. I have a 1970's car and bike, both were around in the 60's, that period is what I like, and I do most work myself, and I do prefer originality

MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »

Hi,
If you are looking to power your Pursuit with a period motor, reasonably good on juice and rather quiet.. choose a 70hp OMC (Evinrude/Johnson). They are relatively easy to come across, and a pretty much bullet proof and for their size...pull like a bull in spring! The trouble is finding a 70hp to suit a 15" transom, should the boat you happen you purchase was built with a 15"

MERCMAN.

perthite

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »

Thanks for that
My father had a Caribbean Crestcutter with a 70hp Johnson back in the 1970's, I do like them. He sold it to my brother years later, who then sold it on.
I last had a 4.2m custom tinne with a 15hp Mercury in the 1990's, sounds like low hp but was great fun, even happily towed kids in a biscuit. Motor was fine, so I am ok with a Mercury as well.
A Tower of power sounds really exciting, but 2 or 3 carbies would be much better to work on than 6, and better to pay fuel for.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 03:07:25 AM »

An Inline 6 cylinder Mercury outboard (non racing) only has 3 carbies and always have had. They are dead easy to work on and not hard on fuel, compared to their output.

A 15hp motor on a Pursuit would be a real dog. Not only that, the boat would float "nose down" and be totally inefficient.

MERCMAN.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: