logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 07:38:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Hello visitors. We are a spam free friendly lot and welcome new members. Your Vintage Outboarding is our interest. Please join us.
Spammers are Banned and Reported.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sundance Barracuda  (Read 13940 times)
ronmac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »

I've been talking to someone who was working at International Marine in the 60's/70s. There was a bloke that worked there that left and starting making his own boats that he called "Sundance." That's probably why it looks like a flop off a pride hull. He was a bit lazy so the story goes, some of his later versions looked like savage hulls. According to the information I have they were produced in small numbers, almost a backyard operation. I've been told his name, but I don't know if I'm allowed to publish it on this board.

Mark S.   
Beautiful, Thanks Mark S. If you are not allowed to publish it on the Board, could you E mail it to me please. I've made more inroads on this site in 5 minutes ( so to speak ) than I have made in the last 4 bloody years.  Shocked Smiley I'm truly grateful for the members responses. cheers Ron.

The suns over the Yard arm," your shout mate."
Old racer
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »

My understanding is that Sundance boats were built and marketed with the introduction of the Mariner 50 back in the early to mid 70's, I beleive they were made at Lemon Tree Passage NSW. I raced a 14'er, dont remember the model name, with a 150 Merc and then a KC Strangler, very succesfull little boat winning State titles and many ski races.

Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of champagne.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 06:41:21 PM »

That's the way I remember it too...but the Sundance Old Racer mentions had no resemblence to the Cruise Craft which I mentioned earlier, I'm sure. A guy up here by the name of Bob Harper raced a Sundance with a I6 Mariner. The boat had a strange bow, did yours Nigel?
Perhaps my mate Ken Evans will remember the full story?

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Old racer
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »

Yep mine had a strange looking bow and the deck had about 3' of quilted vinyl in place of gelcoat thus moving the dash backwards 3' or so. I beleive the boat might have been a flop off of the English Fletcher Arrow hull which had a very long and pointed bow that was cut off in the Sundance mould.

Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of champagne.
Knight

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

Many thanks " MERCMAN", one step closer, now to build on that. Every time i searched sundance  barracuda it came up zilch, I spent hours googling but give up after the migrains kicked in. once again many thanks. cheers Ron.

I know this is an old thread, I have just purchased a Sundance Barracuda - same as ronmac, there is not much out there - very few pictures and this thread. I will try to attach photos of mine. Has there been any additional information about this brand that i have missed?

* IMGP8248.JPG (324.77 KB, 1092x788 - viewed 288 times.)

* IMGP8249.jpg (166.3 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 287 times.)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »

Hello there Knight,
Welcome to The Board. I've since re-read this thread and I'm still quite sure that hull looks exactly like a Pride (brand) hull, sadly I can't recall the original name of that hull. It's not a Fury nor a Playmate. Mark, what does your list say?
However, Mark did make mention that your particular hull was perhaps built by an ex International Marine (Pride) employee.
(By the way, when I say a Pride hull, I mean it was built well before the later Caper or Cheetah hulls were ever designed.)

You have a proven boat with that great mid classic 60's look. Your motor is a 1980 model from what I can determine by your picture. I'm quite sure you and your family will enjoy it for many seasons to come.

MERCMAN.

Knight

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »

Thanks MERCMAN. My research on the motor confirms your statement of a 1980's motor. I liked the look of the boat as soon as I saw it. It was stored for about 5 years (outside) and needs some TLC, but I will be fixing it up along with my old XC Wagon - should look good together.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »

I had an XC Falcon 500 Panel Van. I ordered it brand new from Dominelli Ford in Hurstville.
351, 4 speed, Rally Pack, Fairmont Carpet, Fairmont cloth seat inserts, Duel Pipes (no mufflers) 8' hot wire wheels with T/A's, Platinum Blue duco with Dusk Interior. You can guess she was decked out pretty nice in the rear as well.
It could easily hit 170 klm in third gear, with one more to go! I certainly wish I still had that machine now.

MERCMAN.

Knight

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »

My wagon is a Fairmont 302 auto. Dual pipes as well. Motor is a little tired though, almost 300'000 on the clock - but had been looked after be previous owner.

* after purchase -1.jpg (79.41 KB, 960x416 - viewed 267 times.)
AussieCanAm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 03:24:50 PM »

Hi @ronmac and @Knight
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd let you know one more has been found.
Picked this up this week - powered by a Holden 179.
Pretty tidy but needs a few little things doing - mostly just tidy up and I'll make a prettier engine cover for it.
Will add some pics if I can work out how - why is every board different LOL
Cheers
Seth

1970 Sundance Barracuda
plus other assorted toys not marine related Smiley
AussieCanAm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »

OK, lets see if this works - pics attached:
- HD Holden 179
- THOMAS dress up rocker cover
- TAWCO manifold, mounts & drive (direct drive only)
- CRUISETANK by Sterling

Some interesting valves and taps spread throughout that I have to work out what they're for.

1970 Sundance Barracuda
plus other assorted toys not marine related Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: