logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2019, 03:03:00 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Painting an old outboard  (Read 949 times)
austral

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »

Hi all, yeah im new here. Ive got a very low hrs, fresh water only '62 Merk 700. It runs like a swiss watch after carb clean out etc.
I've decided to paint the "cloud white" exterior and buff up the shiny bits , so can i paint strip the alloy cowl and leg etc or do i just rub it back or even get it blasted ? I just havent done an outboard before.
While im at it, what paint do you guys recomend ?
             Cheers, Darryl.
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:58:05 PM »

Hi and welcome Darryl
I did my 64 Merc and stripped the head back to metal but not the lower section. I painted the head with two pack and it came up beautifully and lasted for years
The lower section I just rubbed back and used single pack enamel. It was never as good as the stripped section.
Preparation is always the key. I suppose sand blasting would be quicker as it took a lot of stripping
These are my thoughts but others may have better ideas. Canít remember the paint brand I used.
David
austral

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:20:02 PM »

Thank you David, i recon i will strip it back with paint striper because im pretty lazy with preparation and stuff like that ( i actually work like a dog in real life).
I also dont plan on removing the power head but have pulled down the lower leg to replace all seals etc.
P.S. Did i actually call it a " Merk"
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

These days soda blasting or peanut shell blasting are preferred alternatives to sand blasting. These new ways will not damage parent metal.

See nymarine.ca for painting tips and methods. There are quite a few yankie websites/forums that offer great ideas for enthusiasts like us. See: FiberGlassics.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
austral

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:26:31 AM »

Thanks  Mercman,  hey did those emails come through with the photos ?
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »

No!
I'll have to check my junk.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: