logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 26, 2019, 10:13:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Spammers, you're wasting your time. Our keen monitors erase and report you in minutes.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: mercury 650ss 1967 4 cyl  (Read 4332 times)
antman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »

advice taken thanks mercman
new yellow leads and ,disy and plug boots  and new springy connectors should land from states in the next few days .$90 and $30 postage roughly
last  run i adjustedthe idle jet screws and idle stop on the water in gear . was idling low nicely but after sitting for an hour that setting wouldnt start very well
so i ran both screws back in and then 1 and 1/2 turns out and bang starts in a flick of the key so ill leave it at that. whilst doing so and playing and tinkering with stuff while its running under load with a friend driving ( bay was so flat ) i got a zap
off something around the dizzy- throttle linkage area .  i did run at night to check in the dark to see a short or spark leakage  but it was in drive on muffs with no load . and nothing . so hence get new leads first .. if no change then stator /alternator

it is what it is
antman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »

new leads and boots arrived last week . .fitted last weekend and took it out today
no change but i did catch a fish!
new cdi Stator ordered and payed for yesterday ....on its way from the usa again
charging circuit only puts out 12.4 volts , i believe this is the problem ,but i have just been avoiding it  probably due to its cost and availability
tested it at wot on the bay this morning .same reading as in the driveway idling on muffs
already replaced the rectifier

it is what it is
antman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »

i can tell you that pn 174 4793 stator doesnt fit my engine . doh
need part 398 2997. for sale 1 stator
maybe i can get the original rewound ?

it is what it is
antman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »

returned stator (amazon)
found the right one .new old stock  $93 dollars . paid but no email conformation ..i doubt ill ever see it !
very hard to find
found a rewind guy . can do it for under $200 . he tested it and said it was good
i told him it was only doing 12 volts .. under his calculations he said it would ONLY do 12 v
i said it should be doing over 13 -14 to charge the battery ? am i wrong ?
found one on ebay second hand for $170 from states . he said to ask for a resistance . mine is at 0.6 ....if its the same ,its not worth getting he said .......
any ideas
(tried to post photos many times but they are to big? and never get through)

* stator.jpg (8.62 KB, 225x169 - viewed 85 times.)

it is what it is
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »

I know one would expect to see about 13-14V from the output from an alternator, but I really doubt a Stator could push that high. It will all depend on the condition and rating of your rectifier/regulator, I'm guessing?

I'm out of my depth here.. Mark S, any comment?

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
Mark S
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »

Should get 13-13.5v or 6amps with a working rectifier.
The book says the resistance of the windings should be 0.4 ohms, so your reading is out a bit. I would check the AC voltage by hooking a volt meter to both wires, set on AC volts, should be getting 50-70 volts I would presume as there is not specification on this. I have never seen one of these alternator windings fail, only the wires rotting. Are you sure your rectifier is OK?

Also this stator winding has nothing to do with the ignition and is for alternator charging only, so replacing this will not make your engine run any better.

Send me a PM if you are unsure on this.

Mark S.
antman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »

thanks for the input guys
will check output voltage of stator ( dont i need a dva meter ?)
but this statement
Also this stator winding has nothing to do with the ignition and is for alternator charging only, so replacing this will not make your engine run any better
really ??
if its not puting out full voltage then the power is coming from battery and running it down
a non charging alternator in a car doesnt charge .them your battery discharges .your lights dim and the thing runs like crap because there isnt enough power 
going to coil ..therefor weak spark and as the battery looses power the car runs worse till it stops
the stator/altenator ,battery electrical system powers the ignition system
so i dont understand that statment
anyway my stator never came it was a scam website . but i did get a pair of raybans (knock off .but good quaility)instead
i knew a nos stator for $83.00 (as pictured ) and free post was to good to be true ,

it is what it is
antman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »

been told today that at 12.6 volts it wont charge my battery unless i run engine for long time ..like 8 hrs
need 13.2 volts to charge ........stator is down on voltage .

it is what it is
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: