logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2019, 03:15:38 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: New Members, after 10 posts we allow you into the Special Members section, including  the "Todays News" topics"  And it's all FREE!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AA's Hartley Flareline  (Read 14420 times)
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »

Getting v excited to get boat back soon. Mark informs me she's now running v smoothly, which I presume means she's running like a new Honda 4 stroke! He's even been good enough to check my trailer bearings and tell me they're half buggered ( and replaced  them,  before the longish tow home), so I'm extremely grateful for all he's done. If it hadn't been for this forum, I might now be the owner of a brand new shiny boat and outboard, instead, I'm enjoying the quirkiness of an almost 50 yo old outfit! I'm sure my current rig  is way more fun!...maybe.

A
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »

Another happy customer!

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

MERCMAN.

It's perfectly safe.. unless something goes wrong!
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »

I'm v happy for the contact through this forum, and I hope that Mark has not felt any undue obligation re my motor - I'm just happy to have a contact who is honest, and happy to pay commercial rates for repairs.

Will sort out pick up some time next week, as there's no purpose trying to launch a boat down the peninsula in the next few weeks, due to proponderance  of  dickheads at boat ramp!

Looking fwd to posting some piccies.

A
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »

Nice to now be reunited with my boat, and to have met Mark S - he now has an intimate understanding about my ineptness with things mechanical!

Anyway, he tells me it's running smoothly; he's fixed a whole lot of stuff, including my throttle/gear changing woes, and even redid my bearings,  refitted my trailer brakes properly ( replaced my incorrectly sized and type of bolt), and adjusted the brakes so they work.

Given that I've not had anything done by a proper mechanic to the engine for 8yrs, the repair cost works out pretty cheaply averaged over the years.

Looking forward to getting on the water.
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »

Happy New Year to all.

Andrew, did you manage to wet the bum of your boat since your last communication with us?
Any pics, we love pics?

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 10:21:03 PM »

Yes, boated last Sunday. QRan very smoothly and well initially , but after a while everything "slowed down", so we were only just able to get to planing speed. Speaking with Mark, I think it might be an issue with poor fuel supply to engine eg  fuel tank breather valve not working properly. The fuel line is new. Will fiddle with it next trip.

Won't be out again until,the end of January, and will post piccies then. Unfortunately this forum seems to require downsizing of piccies on a computer before posting, and I normally just use an iPad, so it's a bit more complicated to post piccies, but will do so after next trip. Mark did suggest I leave the cowl on the engine, and concentrate on painting the boat, which was a very nice way of saying I really shouldn't do anything mechanical! He can add to that if he wishes!

A
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2019, 11:05:27 PM »

A long time not out - Mark Stedman did some big repairs Dec 2017, and I had a bit of unreliable use subsequent to that, including being towed back in to boat ramp...Iím not in any way complaining about his repairs - he was great.

Previous use was in April 2018, she ran like a dream until I stopped to have a brief fish, after which she only puttered home on 1/4 cylinder.

Anyway, I decided to deal with my anxiety, and chuck her in the water last weekend. She always starts well; and then something of a lag to accelerate and get on the plane, but  I managed to drag 2 kids on a biscuit some km without probs. Then set off in another direction to look at seals, and noticed a significant decrease in power on the way home, even though we got on to the plane. Would this have had anything to do with the choke setting on the engine? I think it was pushed in throughout the trip. Iím almost feeling positive enough to have another go!

Beyond that she was pretty good. Iíd like some more revs out of th pe engine, which I suspect means adjusting either the engine end of the throttle cable, or the throttle end.

However, basically sheís working, and my anxiety about taking her out has diminished  hugeky!
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2019, 06:54:56 AM »

G'day AA,
The choke setting will play havoc, if incorrect. Mark will no doubt chime in at this point.

As for your anxiety... simply take drugs and go boating. All will be fine at the end of the day.

Here are two basic questions for you:
Did you check that the fuel tank vent was wide open before initial start?
At the end of the day and flushing, are you disconnecting the fuel line from the motor and running her until she stops due to lack of juice?

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2019, 06:14:21 PM »

Ahhhh. Stupid me. I think I had the fuel tank cap screwed on firmly....☹️.

Iíd forgotten about that ( as itís been so long since Iíve been out ....erk).

Iíll fiddle with the choke button on the motor. I presume that pushing it in opens the air intake to the carburettors?

Iíd better check this too - itís 1:50 oil/petrol, isnít it? ( yep, Iíve got the right oil, and have new 98 octane petrol). The kids on the biscuit being dragged along behind did complain about the exhaust fumes, but it certainly wasnít smoky or unpleasant from my end!

Yes, I do disconnect the fuel line and run her at the end of every start until sheís out if juice.

No drugs needed. Iím back on the horse.

Just need to work on the boating ďmemoryĒ, apparently!

A
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »

Glad to see you sorted with the tank vent.
As for the choke... I've not owned a V4 OMC of that particular era. Mark will know exactly what to do.
I could easily work it out, if I were to see it.

MERCMAN.

andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »

Well, Iím hoping Iíve just been a dick, and itís the tank vent, but need to look to be sure.

Iíll be with the boat this weekend, so will have a good look, and take some photos.

Have t seen any piccies of Neil out in his boat recently......have you heard anything from him?

A ( about to repaint  my boat with house paint, just to get Neil up and running!)
MERCMAN
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 06:09:03 AM »

Being the most senior member of the board, both Neil and his lovely Wife Kerrie, are now not quite as spritely as they would like to be. For this reason, Neil was considering selling his beloved SX-2, to allow another enthusiast or family to enjoy all of his skilled hard work in restoring their classic vessel.

Perhaps Neil may chime in?

MERCMAN.

senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »

Hello lads .
So nice to hear from you . I'm always following the site but have limited contribution these days .
Unless someone mentions house paint and I just see RED  Angry Wink
Kerrie and I are both well although she has medical problems . I'm bonser but going on 74 but have to up my Lipitor to 20mg. Drat . Mum has just turned 97 and only prev med.
Mercman most kindly helped me relaunch SX 2 when completed but that made me realise that she is now not a one person boat for me .

As to selling her I would dearly like to pass her on to the right person . Money aside a new owner would have to provide a 3 metre high x 10 metre cover .
So I procrastinate . I see her as loved furniture but?

Not long down from the roof finishing my 6m x 4m enclosed deck with Japanese influence including garden and koi . All by myself .
Posting some brag for an oldie in his own shed .

Feel very good that you both have enquired as to our welfare .

Thank and keep in touch .

Oops have to reduce pics . Reverting

Neil

Hard a' starboard
andrewallan
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »

Hi Neil, I knew that would get a reaction!

Was going to take boat out today, but just didnít have the ďmental empowermentĒ to go through all the stuffing around and stress of launching and using it.....so, had a snooze and read a book instead.

Hopefully tomorrow will dawn better, and Iíll get out for an hour or two. Will report back.

A (the house paint will be a while away, as Iíll need to strip some of the old loosehouse paint off before reapplying - it has lasted v well! I think itís 7yrs since I last painted the topsides.....)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: