logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2019, 01:10:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: tips for attaching perspex windscreen  (Read 3772 times)
akadakaar

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:32:33 AM »

Hello, I have a 16 foot clinker with timber deck. I have a windscreen with frame on the top and sides but none on the bottom. What is the best way to attach perspex windscreens to marine ply ?. Can someone recommend what I need to buy and where ?
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »

Hello akadakaar

This was quite a common screen setup in the old days. The screen was attached to the deck with about 5 small flat stainless steel rectangular brackets. These could be made if you are at all handy. Each was about 3cm long by about 8mm and had a hole at either end so one end of the bracket was attached to the deck and the other end curved up (bend it) to attach to a hole drilled through the perspex for application with metal threads.
What you are going to have to do is get some sort of rubber moulding to place between the screen and the deck. the old type of moulding had a u shaped mould that the screen tucked into and this moulding had a flap that sat forward to seal off any unwanted water running underneath. This can be replaced with just the u shaped rubber available at Clark rubber stores.

Hope this helps, post a pic if you can or if you like I'll draw something for you.

Regards David
senojn
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 05:52:49 PM »

Hello Akadakaar,
I have replaced two windscreens in my 1961.
See Subject 1961 classic 22ft runabout for photos.
The bottom of each screen is solid timber cut with a jig saw to the curve of the same shape as the screen and also pliable enough to take the curve of the deck. It can be done with a number of pieces of wood so you don't have to start with a large rectangular  piece to cover the whole area.
Mine are 1 inch deep  20mm to allow good bite as this  craft can go quickly.
You could also laminate sections from plywood and epoxy seal to get your shape.
You would also have to chamfer the timber according to the rake of the screen.
A bit of mucking about but the result is safe and LOOKS good.
Mine are covered with aluminium strip to suit  the boat but you could cover with timber veneer ,screwing it over the top
of the perspex.

Hard a' starboard
akadakaar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:19:52 PM »

Thanks very much for the advice. I do have those stainless tabs you mentioned David, but did not realise that was how things were done. The solid timber cut with a jigsaw as described by Senojn sounds like an ideal long term solution, but as I dont have enough time on my hands at present, I think I will go with the rubber moulding from Clark Rubber. Pity it does not have the flap on front as you mentioned, as it would certainly be easier to make a much better seal.
By the way, this is the boat I had previously advertised - Hunts Unique 16 foot clinker, but have now been able to keep (my inlaws gave it to me). I will put some windscreen photos up when I get a chance.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: