logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 12, 2020, 08:05:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
 News: Welcome visitors. Click on the "Search" button above and type in a word that has your interest.
Spammers are Banned and reported

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 68 Plywood toy  (Read 11002 times)
crowkay

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005, 10:50:39 AM »

Could anyone advise me if this would be a good way to increase transom height.
I was thinking of routing a 10x20mm slot in the existing timber and adding new timber to fill entire space. The boat had a 15 inch transom and now needs 20 inches to support new motor (138kg).
Thanks Martin

* TRANS.jpg (44.72 KB, 350x262 - viewed 618 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »

Hello Martin
From my experience, I've seen it done by building up the 20 ins by doing as you say, plus putting a false sheet of heavy ply on the outer transom to cover the lot and also on the inner side to the well. This should be sufficient if you also see to it that the piece you put in to build up height  is a heavy ply and glued and screwed or nailed. Also make sure the clamps still go on. Other ones were metal raisers, but I'd only seen them on glass boats.
Re the motor, where is it? it looks in great nick.
Was it turning over?
Regards David

By the way it looks like a 66 model donk.
crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 12:12:13 PM »

Hi David thanks for the reply.
As you maybe able to see it had a ply (6mm) sheet on the inside and outside, to hold old motor. What timber should I use in the middle, only the ply will be showing.
The old motor was left with Watersports marine on 3rd August.
 It may still be there. It was running extreemly well, only the steering and tilt were tight. The hydraulics were dumped, also faulty.
Martin
crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 12:25:19 PM »

David I just found out that my old motor is still there. If you know of anyone who wants it let me know 0416220006
Martin
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 11:55:44 AM »

Thanks Martin
Re the transom, use thick marine ply to raise the transom. I could draw it, but my scanner is down. It has to be totally re enforced by another skin inside and completely forming an outside layer to replicate the whole transom and glued and screwed. So you need a piece to fit in to raise the transom and two more pieces to cover one inside and one outside.  I'll call you to explain further.

crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 04:47:48 PM »

Well I got the motor back and decide to fix it....as opposed to restoring it.
So now I am looking for parts. I need a wiring harness including the rubber conector plug. Have found a new one on an american website called oldmercs.
And as I mentioned to you a control unit with cables.
I have allready freed up the tilt and am about to tackle the steering. Also would like electric tilt and trim unit and rams. Thaknks anyone for help.
Martin

* DSC02179.jpg (37.33 KB, 249x201 - viewed 610 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »

Hi Martin

Terrific rig and you've made a great decision on keeping the merc. I've probably got what you need. Can you get me a picture of the plug socket, so I can see the configeration of the pins. There are many different plugs. I've also got a complete hydrolic lft assembly off a 65 hp of that vintage.

David.
crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 01:05:32 PM »

David
Have not had much success freeing up the steering so far ,do you think I will have to
take the engine apart.Or should I try putting degreaser in the greasing hole. Heat helped a little but still not free.
I am now very keen to get it going again. Will call soon re parts. Thanks for your encouragement.
Martin

* 47.jpg (14.78 KB, 239x114 - viewed 616 times.)

* DSC02644.jpg (23.43 KB, 250x187 - viewed 621 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 09:07:27 PM »

Sorry Martin, seemed to miss your post.

Have you got the motor mounted back on the boat or on a strong board, so that you can swing the motor, not the steering unit. It is very hard to manipulate the steering mechanism without it bolted to something. Heat is one thing, movement is just as important. Plenty of grease and keep at it. It would be best to call me.

Thanks for the pic of the plug. I'll have a look for one.
crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 10:21:57 AM »

Hello David
Well I managed to free up motor and it is back on the boat. I have renewed the steering cable and all else is OK. Now just need to install hydraulics, control unit
and wiring harness. Please let me know what you have and how much you would like for the parts. We could post them or there is a possibilty that I will be in Melbourne late October for a few days. If you have them all maybe I should drive.
It looks great with the original motor back on.
Thanks Martin
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 12:14:56 PM »

Martin

I have checked out my store and I haven't got one the same.  There are some many different configs. Don't despair, there is a guy down here who has just about everything for the old Mercs.  He may even have an electric tilt for your motor. I'll look up his number so you can talk to him before you get down here.
David
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 05:42:47 PM by chairman » Logged
crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 12:18:23 PM »

David

Found a great place in Sydney for parts and help.
Have now got new (restored) control unit, cables and wiring.
Took the boat out last week. Runs well. Still needs hydraulics.
He quoted about $1000 plus $500 fitting. I will leave this for a while.
I just have to be caucious without a reverse tilt lock!
How are you fairing with your parts guy there.
Regards Martin

* BOAT.jpg (30.63 KB, 204x153 - viewed 541 times.)
Chair
Administrator
Board God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 12:57:17 PM »

Hi Martin.
Good to hear its going.
I'm a bit dissapointed about the guy down hear as he didn't get back to me again. He isn't on email and I think he's snowed under. If you want, call him direct 03 52482560 Steven Kittelty. He's in Newcomb near Geelong.

Aristocrat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 04:31:43 PM »

Hi Martin,

I seem to be in the same boat as you were (excuse the pun). Can you tell me the place in Sydney you found for spares as i've been searching wreckers and parts dealers for the pieces i need on my evinrude 18.

Cheers, Hugh
crowkay

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 03:10:45 PM »

Hi Hugh and others

Since I last posted, water started pissing out around the lowest sparkplug.
I have now commpletely dismantled the engine and am in the process of renovating most things.
New impeller, crankshaft seals,leads and welded around sparkplug thread.
Now waiting for parts from US. Old mercs.com.
The parts place in Sydney is Marine Servicing at 77 Parraweena Rd Caringbah
I am now determined to have it running well by Jan.
Hope yours is easier.
Martin
David..I have not contacted anyone re tilt yet....running out of money!!
Martin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: